Your Title: Senior Software Engineer – SaaS Solution
Your Company: mobileStorm (www.mobilestorm.com)
Your Location: The Valley (The one in Los Angeles. 34.214174 ° N, 18.474746 ° W)
Overview: We\’ve been selling our communication platform to marketers to help them drive revenue for the last decade. In the past few years we have increased our focus on healthcare yet our mission has stayed the same; \”to help our clients communicate with the highest amount of relevancy possible.\” For healthcare it means \”influence consumer behavior to make healthy decisions, keep them out of the doctor\’s office and save our clients lots of money in the process.\” This goes for doctors and hospitals as well. For example, one major issue we\’re tackling is \”medication adherence.\” It\’s a $290 billion a year problem. A consumer forgets to take their meds, or they take the wrong dose, and they end up taking an expensive ambulance ride or end up right back in the doctor\’s office. This is just one several-hundred billion dollar problem that we\’re already making a dent in.
Your Career: Strong Python skills (or can pick it up quickly) and Postgres geek. Wants to use what the cool kids are using (Nginx, Jetty, Tornado, Hudson CI Server and RabbitMQ). Obsessive about UX, evangelistic about Agile, and a champion of cloud computing. Most importantly, we want someone who loves a). solving big problems, b). learning, and c). being part of a high performance team.
Your Challenge: We have been in development for the past year on a platform that is still very much a work in progress. The biggest mountain we face is building out a system that analyzes years\’ worth of end-user behavior and their interactions over many different channels of communication. We\’re surfacing the data and making it actionable so our clients can answer questions like \”what message(s) should I follow up with based on the interaction, or lack thereof, with a previous message sent, and how long should those messages be spaced out?\” Are you ready to build the world\’s first intelligent communication platform?
Your Benefits: Stock option plan (with laser focused exit strategy), quarterly bonuses based company revenue goals and peer review for living our core values. 100% medical (with our wonderful client Kaiser Permanente), 50% dental with Blue Shield PPO, Aflac plans and 401k. We\’re hoping you will want us to buy you a Mac, and that your mobile device of choice is either an iPhone or Android device. Some travel is involved, especially to conferences where you will want to grow your knowledge, evangelize, and find new talented storm troopers.
Your Culture: Our CEO founded mobileStorm based upon his need for freedom. He wanted to be able to make his own decisions on what the product road map looked like, what clothes he wore, and when he wanted time off. As a result, decision-making is encouraged at all levels and everyone has a say in the company\’s strategy. Everyone is an owner and time off depends only upon when you need it. Did we mention shorts, sandals, and summer dresses feel great year round? The amount of incredibly bright, hardworking and innovative people who also love to learn and laugh together almost makes it seem as if work isn\’t work. We hire and fire based on our core values. When someone is crushing it, there\’s no limit to how successful they can be and where they can move within the organization. Sound interesting? Take a tour of our offices. Sorry for the shakiness, we think Jared was committed to a Blair Witch style intro.
Have Fun, Learn a lot: You won\’t get a parking spot with your name, but you also don\’t have to spend 10 minutes looking for a spot. Learning is a major core value so the mobileStorm Library is always open for business. Books can be checked out simply by Yammering the hash tag #mslibrary. The mS cafÃƒÂ© is stocked with drinks and snacks, including gluten free stuff. Save hundreds of dollars per month not going to Starbucks and instead use our Italian Bravo espresso machine donated by a restaurant going out of business (we guess the economy has some side benefits). In addition to daily product/tech stand ups, we have weekly company standups where we discuss how our goals are coming along or what movie we caught over the weekend. We throw a couple of really fun annual parties such as our 10th year anniversary where we took over Encore Beach Club in Vegas. We try to do one monthly event such as Monday Night Football dinner & drinks, wine tastings, and learning events (recently had an invite-only event to hear Tony Hsiech speak about company culture). Everyone loves movie time on Friday. We project a hundred inches of hi-def (Goonies? Caddyshack?). Finally, upon arriving at mobileStorm for your first day of employment, make sure you are packing heat. There\’s a good chance you will have Nerf rockets headed your way. You can arm yourself here.
- Participate in projects to develop new, and enhance existing, messaging technology solutions.
- Initiate, plan, review, architect, design, code, test, document, and track progress of projects to improve scalability and monitor system load.
- Troubleshoot and fix issues related to messaging software production systems while safeguarding performance and business continuity.
- Develop, promote, and utilize the best development practices and business continuity strategies while protecting revenue streams.
- Interact with 3rd party and/or offshore development teams.
- Mentor junior developers in the areas of software development and infrastructure management.
Desired Skills & Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Strong Python & PHP developer. Good working knowledge of Java.
- Strong MySQL/Postgress tuning, query optimization and administration skills.
- Experience w/message bus architectures; RabbitMQ and Celery.
- Good working knowledge of Nginx, Jetty, Tornado and Hudson CI Server.
- Whiz in Agile methodologies.
- Produces efficient code with a focus on security and performance.
- Experience working on large, high volume, production systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Collaborative development style that includes technical and non-technical team members.
Education and/or Experience:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of hard-core software development of production systems.
- Adept at working with in a crossed matrixed organization.
- Success at participating in cross-functional development teams.
- Continuing education in software development practices.
- Extra consideration given to experience with mobile marketing solutions.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Ability to self motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
**DO NOT attach your resume. Please post in the body of your email. We will not be reviewing resumes that are attached.